In veterinary medicine, ultrasound is considered a safe and reliable method of looking inside your pet’s body for a variety of situations. Ultrasound is a non-invasive procedure with little to no risks.
An ultrasound may be requested for a variety of reasons including:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Prolonged vomiting or diarrhea
- Abnormal blood test results
- Urinary or bowel difficulties
- Fluid in chest or abdomen
- Cancer staging or checking on tumors
- A baseline ultrasound to use for comparison at later date
Prior to the ultrasound your pet may have their fur shaved in the area in which the ultrasound will take place, allowing for more reliable imaging. It is also important that your pet has an empty stomach during the ultrasound to allow for accurate imaging to take place. We will be able to advise you how long your pet should fast for if needed.